To change the session timeouts:
- Log in to Admin area
- Click on Settings
- Choose Admin tab
- Under the Security/Privacy tab, set the session expires (in minutes) to the required timeout in minutes.
If you don't want the session to timeout at all, set this to 0. Your session should remain valid until you close your browser.
If it does not work as expected check the following values in your php settings.
- session.cookie_lifetime (Default: 0)
- session.cookie_lifetime specifies the lifetime of the cookie in seconds which is sent to the browser.
- a value of 0 means "until the browser is closed"
- session.gc_maxlifetime (Default: 1440)
- session.gc_maxlifetime specifies the number of seconds after which data will be seen as 'garbage' and cleaned up.
- garbage collection occurs during session start.
- Do not forget to restart web server if you change php settings.